SVA’s Office of Student Health and Counseling Services just sent out the following call for submissions for the 2017 HOPE Art Competition. This year, VCS Department Chair Tom Huhn will be the judge for the contest, and the finalists’ designs will be featured in an exhibition at the SVA Flatiron Gallery in February. This year’s theme is “expressing your unique identity.”
The deadline for submissions is February 6th, 2017 at 4pm. Here are the guidelines; you can also download them along with a submission form at this link.
HOPE ART COMPETITION AND EXHIBITION
This year’s Hope Art Competition invites current SVA students to create artwork that will be utilized in print and online advertisements for the Office of Student Health and Counseling Services. Entries will be evaluated on how well they can communicate the theme.
Finalists will have their design featured in an exhibition at the Flatiron Windows (133/141 West 21 Street). After the exhibitions ends, the artwork will be displayed in the 24th Street Residence Hall in the Student Health & Counseling Services office for the duration of the Spring 2017 semester.
Entries must be accompanied by a completed submission form. Submission forms and guidelines are available at www.sva.edu/health or picked up in person at the Office of Student Health and Counseling Services in the 24th Street Residence Hall at 340 E. 24th Street, 1st Floor.
Submission Deadline: Monday, February 6th, 2017 at 4pm. Late entries will not be accepted.
This year’s competition will be judged by Tom Huhn, Chair of BFA Visual and Critical Studies. The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners will be awarded $300, $200, and $100 respectively.
Exhibition: Hosted at the SVA Flatiron Windows, 133/141 West 21 Street Thursday, February 16-Saturday, February 18, 2017
Free and open to the public
Opening Reception: Hosted at the SVA Flatiron Gallery, 133/141 West 21 Street Friday, February 17, 2017 from 5:30 – 6:30pm
HOPE Art Competition Guidelines
THE 2017 THEME IS “EXPRESSING YOUR UNIQUE IDENTITY”
Identity is how we see and think or ourselves, and art is one way we can express identity- whether it has to do with ethnicity, sex, gender, and a range of other aspects of ourselves. This year’s HOPE Competition challenges you to create a piece that expresses your identity, aspects of your identity, and/or the intersectionality of various identities that may overlap for you. It will celebrate the diversity of SVA and New York City, and how each student plays a part in creating an accepting community.
To participate, please fulfill the following requirements:
- You must be currently registered as an undergraduate or graduate student in a degree-seeking program at SVA. All majors are encouraged to enter.
- Entries will be any medium with the target being SVA students, faculty, and staff
- All submissions will be submitted either digitally to [email protected] or brought to the Student Health & Counseling Services office at 340 E. 24th Street and must be accompanied by a Submission Form (included below).
- We are looking for submissions that address the theme of “Expressing Your Unique Identity”
- The finalists of this competition will have their work displayed at the SVA Flatiron Windows as well as the 24th Street Residence during the Spring 2017 semester. The winning artwork will be chosen to be used to advertise Student Health & Counseling Services as well as to promote upcoming workshops facilitated by the therapists.
- Submit your entry and submission form in person no later than Monday, February 6th, 2017 at 4pm.Student Health and Counseling Services thanks you for your interest. We hope that you will submit an entry!
Animation, Live Action, or 3D Animation:
Films must be less than 15 seconds, looping animation recommended QuickTime .MOV file
540 pixels x 810 pixels; 24 fps, h.264 codec
Maximum runtime: 10 seconds
Should be able to be mounted on a wall
Should not come out more than 6-8 inches from the wall once mounted No more than 40 pounds
Please be mindful of using fragile materials
Illustrations, Designs, Cartoons:
Any size paper or poster, text is allowed Recommended size around 18×24
.PDF, .TIFF or PSD file (files must be flattened artwork) 300 dpi
Any canvas size allowed
Any frames should be ready to hang (with wire, d-rings, or cleats) and please provide all framing hardware. Gallery will provide the wall hardware (screws, nails, etc..)
Guidelines for films:
Films must be less than 10 minutes
3D video is not supported
For Film Submissions: If you are submitting a film, please contact our office for more specific guidelines so that your film is compatible with the monitors provided by SVA Galleries.
Guidelines for photos:
Any print size allowed
If framed, should be ready to hang (with wire, d-rings, or cleats) and please provide all framing hardware. Gallery will provide the wall hardware (screws, nails, etc..)